Saturday, June 8, 2013

Q +A with Kohler!


What do you like the most about what you do? If I think about the part of making my work that I look forward to the most, it’s definitely the act of painting and drawing. I love the process and the introverted nature of making.
[[MORE]]How would you describe what you make? I am an artist-designer. I make work that is grounded in utility and decorative art history as well as popular culture. 
Where do you find most of your inspiration? I look either to history or online historic resources for inspiration in addition to sourcing trends and popular culture – even music and television.
Do you follow artists with a similar aesthetic for inspiration? Absolutely!
How much of your time goes to your craft? It’s a full-time job. I also teach one to two college-level courses a year.
How did you learn your trade? I studied drawing, painting, printmaking and ceramics, receiving my B.F.A. at the Museum School in Boston. After several ceramic residencies and apprenticeships in the U.S. and abroad, I received my M.F.A. in ceramics at the University of Colorado. The year after, I was awarded the prestigious Arts/Industry Residency in the Pottery at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center in Wisconsin, which laid the foundation for my career.
Are you able to support yourself through your craft? I make the largest part of my income from licensing designs to industry. A close second is through one-of-a-kind/original artwork commissions to private clients and museums. 
What is your least favorite part of your craft? I actually like the PR part, but it’s the paperwork involved that I least enjoy – managing my website, sending out work and INSTALL is my absolute least favorite.
What was your best subject in school? Definitely art but English as well.
Did you grow up with artists in your family? I am the daughter of a painter and an organic dairy farmer. My childhood was divided between physical labor, play and creating art.
Do you share your life, your home and your studio with pets? I have a dog but am desperate for a cat in the studio, but just can’t. 
What inspired you to create your blog? I use my blog as a way to promote my recent news and projects. It is an important PR/marketing tool and a way for people to feel connected with what I do and who I am.
What do you like the most about what you do? 
MH: If I think about the part of making my work that I look forward to the most, it’s definitely the act of painting and drawing. I love the process and the introverted nature of making when painting. I also love the travel that is a part of my job. Teaching workshops out and about in the world is fun and rejuvenating!
How would you describe what you make? 
MH: I am an artist-designer. I make work that is grounded in utility and decorative art history as well as popular culture. 
Where do you find most of your inspiration? 
MH: I look either to history or online historic resources for inspiration in addition to sourcing trends and popular culture – even music and television.
Do you follow artists with a similar aesthetic for inspiration? 
MH: Absolutely! Lately I have been looking a lot at other surface designers and illustrators: Mati Rose, Lisa Congdon come to mind. I love Hella Jongerius' work-so smart.
How much of your time goes to your craft? 
MH:It’s a full-time job. I also teach one to two college-level courses a year. I spend as much time as possible in the studio. Usually I start my day at 9am after dropping my daughter off at pre-school. I work until 5:30 or so and take time to make dinner and have an evening with my family. After my daughter goes to bed I typically head back to the studio until 11 or 12pm. I work hard, but I love it. I think its hard for people to understand that what I do for my job is also what is relaxing for me at the end of the day.
How did you learn your trade? 
MH:I studied drawing, painting, printmaking and ceramics, receiving my B.F.A. at the Museum School in Boston. After several ceramic residencies and apprenticeships in the U.S. and abroad, I received my M.F.A. in ceramics at the University of Colorado. The year after, I was awarded the prestigious Arts/Industry Residency in the Pottery at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center in Wisconsin, which laid the foundation for my career.
Are you able to support yourself through your craft? 
MH: Yes! I make the largest part of my income from licensing designs to industry. A close second is through one-of-a-kind/original artwork sales and commissions to private clients and museums. 
What is your least favorite part of your craft? 
MH:I actually like the PR part, but it’s the paperwork involved that I least enjoy – managing my website, sending out work and INSTALL is my absolute least favorite.
What was your best subject in school? 
MH: Definitely art but English as well.
Did you grow up with artists in your family? 
MH:I am the daughter of a painter and an organic dairy farmer. My childhood was divided between physical labor, play and creating art.
Do you share your life, your home and your studio with pets?
MH: I have a dog who I love-a Border Collie named Mac, and am desperate for a cat in the studio.... 
What inspired you to create your blog? 
MH:I use my blog as a way to promote my recent news and projects. It is an important PR/marketing tool and a way for people to feel connected with what I do and who I am.

    No comments: